Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The Second Mile

We live at the end of a dirt road on a circle that is about a mile around.

Yesterday, after working on taxes all morning, I decided I wanted to change my mindset and wash the debits and credits away with a walk before I went to pick the boys up from school. I really wanted to be WITH them when they got home and not still swimming in digits.

The first time around the circle my thoughts were in a tempest. Rehashing, reviewing, planning, and talking to and at myself.

I really only intended on walking the one mile, but something happened as I approached my driveway...I kept going. And this I don't regret.

With each step the busy-ness of life and the noise of my thoughts diminished and the rustling squirrels, the teasing breeze and the earnest sunshine on my face beckoned peace.

And then, as I walked, I was aware of another familiar Presence.

I poured out my heart in thanksgiving. I repented for the way I had let the distractions in. I thanked Him for joining me, to which He replied, "I've been here all along".

---------------------

I will, again, live off this lesson for awhile. And I will purpose to ask for grace in managing the distractions and for help in creating that space in my heart - that sanctuary - where He and I abide and where I am forever aware of His Presence.

Psalm 16:11
"You will show me the path of life;
In Your presence is fullness of joy;
At Your right hand are pleasures forevermore."

Thank You for the second mile.