Thursday, February 19, 2009

One Thing

The extraordinary men of our time are not men that we define by the myriad of things that they accomplish in mediocrity, but by the one or two things at which they excel. They find their One Thing and give their all for it.

We see it in our professional sports stars and Olympic athletes "whose bodily exercise will profit a little" (I Timothy 4:8a), but also in people like Mother Teresa, whose "godliness is profitable for all things, having promise of the life that now is and of that which is to come" (I Timothy 4:8b).

We learn from their lives that there is an art to doing the One Thing really well. We must become such men for the eternal cause of Christ. That is our One Thing.

There is a "treasure in a field" to be stumbled upon, but there is also "a pearl of great price" which must be sought after.

Seek the Lord for how you can pursue the One Thing. Then devote your life to pursuing it.

Psalm 27:4 "One thing I have desired of the LORD, That will I seek: That I may dwell in the house of the LORD All the days of my life, To behold the beauty of the LORD, And to inquire in His temple."

Luke 10:42 "But one thing is needed, and Mary has chosen that good part, which will not be taken away from her.”

Luke 18:22 “You still lack one thing. Sell all that you have and distribute to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.”

John 9:25 "One thing I know: that though I was blind, now I see.”


Click here for today's Daily Bread.