Friday, January 22, 2010

What Does Grant Desme Have to Do with You?

Maybe you don't know who Grant Desme is.  I didn't.

Apparently, he was a big-time, promising, up-and-coming baseball player who just announced he's leaving baseball to go into ministry.  So why am I writing about sports the day after I wrote about a politician?  And what does Grant Desme (or Scott Brown) have to do with you?  Or me?
I'm interested in what interests people.  Yesterday, Scott Brown was one of the most-searched terms on Google.  Today it's Grant Desme.

They are both guys who are facing great change.  And, like you and I, they will deal with the stresses of life in transition.

I suspect we'll hear more and more from Scott Brown throughout the coming years, and less and less about Grant Desme.  But that will be no indicator of their satisfaction with life.

Here's the point...

Claim YOUR purpose.  You know, the one God gave you.  Don't settle for the easiest, most crowd-pleasing, or best-paying.  Ask the tough questions about who you are meant to be and what you are designed to do.  Don't let someone else determine your worth or purpose.  God created you.  He knows what you were made for.

It matters.

And the transitions and stresses that accompany pursuing that purpose will be worth it - and come with a guarantee...


"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you", says the LORD, "thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope."  Jeremiah 29:11

Go for it.