Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Who Is Talking About You?

Joseph needed someone to speak on his behalf as his jealous brothers conspired to kill him, an act which would rob him (and, eventually, a starving generation) of his God-favored destiny.

Reuben was that someone...



"But Reuben heard it, and he delivered him out of their hands, and said, 'Let us not kill him.'"  (Genesis 37:21).

There have been times in my life when I have had a "Reuben" - one who stands up for me even in my absence or in having been misunderstood or misrepresented.  And there have been times when "brothers" cast me aside in my absence because there was no one willing to speak on my behalf.

While I am confident that having a Reuben is a real blessing, perhaps more important than having a Reuben is being a Reuben.

It is so easy to get drawn into gossip, lower-level group-think, or corrupt communication about someone when, clearly, jealousy is at the root.  I've learned that the people who put down other people in front of me are likely to be the ones who put me down when I am not there.

The higher way is the Reuben way.

Q4U:  Can you think of a time that you stood up for someone in their absence?